Smaller residential developments and self-build

Sakshi Gupta | Feb 2016

Under the Self-Build and Custom Housing Act 2015 local authorities will be under a duty to maintain a register of those individuals (or indeed housing associations) who are seeking to build their own home. There are now regulations (Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016 (SI 2016/105)) which provide further guidance of use both to individuals considering building their own home and smaller builders seeking commissions for such projects. The registers should make it easier for people to find suitable serviced plots.

Local planning authorities (LPAs):

  • When compiling self-build and custom housebuilding registers of those individuals, and associations of individuals, seeking serviced plots of land for building their own home must consult the regulations.
  • When carrying out their planning, housing, disposal and regeneration functions must have due regard to the registers. The registers may be a material consideration in the LPA’s decision-taking.

If you need help and assistance in respect of any property issues then call the Property Team on 01908 689319 or email Sakshi Gupta on

Share this:

Categories: Commercial Property